[tor-relays] Middle relay still an useful contribution?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Tue Jan 17 22:14:40 UTC 2017

Note that a bridge is not guaranteed to be used. I've seen plenty of
bridges, both plain-vanilla and obfs4, with or without IPv6, regardless
of geography, that use only a few megabytes of bandwidth per month.
Everything seems good in terms of connectivity yet there is basically
just housekeeping traffic. Some bridges just seem to go ignored as entry
points into the Tor network.

Not trying to dissuade you from running a bridge, just pointing out that
that the bandwidth you want to donate to the Tor network may not be
utilized. In contrast, I haven't seen a mature middle node that went unused.