[tor-relays] Proposing an Exit Node

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jan 17 07:00:12 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:49:46PM -0700, Mirimir wrote:
> Or you need adequate anonymity, and be willing to lose sunk cost.

I think trying to run exit relays with anonymity, and with plans to
discard them as needed, is a poor plan long-term. In the struggle for
what the Internet can become, we need to be public and clear about who
we are and why privacy is important for everybody.

(Yes, that looks like a contradiction, but I claim it isn't: privacy
is about giving people choices, and to win this conflict we need some
people who will make the choice to step up and be public and build
relationships.)

This "slash and burn agriculture" approach to running Tor relays, where
you set up an exit relay, and if anybody gets angry you move on to
another ISP, is really appealing since it's simple, but it assumes the
Internet is infinite. If in fact we're destroying land without regard
to sustainability, and we run out of land...

The Internet is smaller and more centralized than we think, and we need
the people who run it to see us as a worthwhile positive and contributing
community.

For previous versions of this thread, see
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-November/003240.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2015-May/037991.html

Thanks!
--Roger