[tor-relays] Tor Cloud

Scott Ainslie scott at scottainslie.me.uk
Wed Jan 4 11:53:00 UTC 2017

Hello,

I'm in the midst of relaunching Tor Cloud. I renamed it Onion
Cloud as per a Tor Cloud suggestion.

It's built upon Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (Xenial Xerus). I might add support
for Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (Trusty Tahr) but in the meantime I'm
concentrating upon supporting Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (Xenial Xerus).

I prioritized reducing the amount of needless unsecured communication
aside from inheriting all the properties of the original and ensuring
that it's up-to-date.

I added support to the Amazon Machine Images (AMI) for HTTP Secure
protocol-supporting repositories because the repositories Canonical
maintains don't support it. I hope Canonical adds support to its
repositories in due time.

Tor Cloud didn't support HTTP Secure protocol-supporting repositories
but I feel it's crucial to add explicit support for it and adopt a
defense-in-depth attitude in addition to reliance upon GnuPG detached
digital signatures.

I'm updating the default GnuPG configuration to add Transport Layer
Security support.

I plan to add support for Microsoft Azure and Google Compute Engine.
Microsoft Azure has a command-line interface that I can use to add
support for it as does Google Compute Engine. I'm afraid the cost of
Microsoft Azure or Google Compute Engine is outright prohibiting being
able to add support at this time.

I also bought a domain name and set up 3 Domain Name Servers for it. It
supports Internet Protocol version 4 and Internet Protocol version 6 and
its Domain Name Server zone is also signed using Domain Name System
Security Extensions.

I'm still in the process of debugging and updating the original shell
scripts and I'd like to be certain that it's robust. I'm intending to
publish the shell scripts on GitHub in a fortnight but I'm hoping I can
publish it before long.

I'm eager to begin encouraging contributors to help refine it!
- --
Scott Ainslie <scott at scottainslie.me.uk>