[tor-relays] How can we trust the guards?

Aeris aeris+tor at imirhil.fr
Tue Jan 3 09:30:12 UTC 2017

> 93% of the time despite having decent ultra-stable 153 KB/s bandwidth
> and static IP);
> The same relay is VERY reliable - totally stable for weeks,
> yet still under-used only because it is small.

Any people who will use your relay on a circuit will also damn you to run such
small relay. This is so slow and not usable for day to day web surfing,
specially if you are well connected to Internet (fiber or decent ADSL).
Personnally, I have around this speed directly for my ADSL Internet connection
(500/80kB), and I rant each day I have to upload something…

> 4. I do not see why the current design of Tor prevents using more relays. I
> do not believe the current design is limited by design in the number of
> relays it can support.

Memory and TCP ports ?
A node need to maintain thousands of circuits. This consumes a lot of memory
(400MB on one of my guard) and a lot of TCP sockets (14k sockets).
Those parameters don’t scale very well if you have more nodes (65k TCP port
only, or some hundred of GB of RAM). Currently, with standard hardware, seems
we can’t host more than 10 or 20× more nodes than today without hitting some
hardware limit.

Regards,
--
Aeris
Individual crypto-terrorist group self-radicalized on the digital Internet

Protect your privacy, encrypt your communications
GPG : EFB74277 ECE4E222
OTR : 5769616D 2D3DAC72
https://café-vie-privée.fr/