[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 06:49:38 UTC 2017

> On 3 Jan 2017, at 17:21, Rana <ranaventures at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To recap, we are talking about
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/707A9A3358E0D8653089AF32A097570A96400C
> C6
>
> Thanks but your explanation does not seem to apply here. The measured BW is
> equal to the limit and has been the same rock solid number (153.6 KB/s) for
> weeks.

Please stop calling it the measured bandwidth. It's confusing.
The heading is "Advertised Bandwidth".

The components of the Atlas advertised bandwidth are:
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/707A9A3358E0D8653089AF32A097570A96400CC6

Advertised Bandwidth: 153.6 KB/s
Bandwidth rate: 153.6 KB/s
Bandwidth burst: 179.2 KB/s
Observed bandwidth: 173.03 KB/s

Look in my previous emails for definitions of these figures, and how the
advertised bandwidth is calculated from them.

> As you see on the graph, the actual throughput is nowhere near the
> limit.

The reported bandwidth doesn't need to be near the limit to decrease the
measured bandwidth. Any client usage decreases the extra bandwidth
available for measurement, and therefore decreases the measurement.

> The IP is static and therefore never changed. The relay almost never
> restarted and certainly did not restart for weeks before the drop occurred
> (uptime is 24 days now). And as you see it never really recovered from the
> drop and seems to have stabilized at about 7% of its (as measured and
> reported in Atlas) capacity.

It seems your relay's sustained capacity might be much less than the
bandwidth rate. There are many factors that can limit relay capacity.
Look in previous emails on this list for some of the different factors.

> What am I missing?

Maybe the measurement system works, and your relay just can't sustain
high volumes of traffic (or large numbers of connections).

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org