[tor-relays] Is there a logical limit of MyFamily members?

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Sat Feb 25 09:03:00 UTC 2017

John Ricketts:
> I have 30 nodes now and my year end I intend to run enough to reach
> 6% of exit probability.  I want to know if there is a logical limit
> per family.

There is a max. descriptor size limit (20k) [1] and MyFamily is uploaded
via descriptors.

Taking the descriptor of QuintexAirVPN26 as a sample you could probably
fit another ~380 family members into that descriptor before you hit the
descriptor limit (but any other changes like exit policy influence your
descriptor size as well).

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n364