[tor-relays] Bandwidth Measurement

Julien ROBIN julien.robin28 at free.fr
Mon Feb 20 20:36:19 UTC 2017

Hi,

I think that in this case, every existing connection and transfers act
as "best effort" (it means that used bandwidth for some connection
aren't absolutely reserved),  the new transfer is making a place by
reducing just a little bit the others connection's available speed.

If 50 active connection are using 1 MB/s each at the same time, with a
total amount of 50 MB/s which is the maximum of a given server for
example, then a new connection trying to get 1 MB/s will make the 50
Megabits divided by 51, then the usable bandwidth for all connection
becomes 0,98 MB/s in the place of 1 MB/s

When your relay is very overused and severe congestion occurs, then the
bandwidth measurement will be very poor, this will reduce the weight of
your relay in the consensus in order to reduce the congestion. The
algorithm is designed to give the ideal consensus weight for your relay
in order to be as close as possible of your maximum available bandwidth,
without placing too much users on it (with too much users on it, the
total used bandwidth will be at the maximum, but each user get a painful
browsing experience because the available bandwidth per user becomes too
weak)

Bye !

Julien

PS : if the advertised bandwidth is incorrect then congestion will occur
and the consensus weight of your relay will be decreased because of poor
performance during measurements, that's how possible
cheating/disturbance is avoided in this case, I think.

I think there is some documentation on this subject, by searching if you
have some time and want to know more on this subject.