[tor-relays] Connectivity issues; disabling my relay

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Wed Feb 15 18:32:56 UTC 2017

So, I've concluded that these little bursts of packet loss are really
just some failed equipment of the backhaul carrier, and that it isn't
fixed yet is most simply explained by incompetence.  I just discovered
it affects other connections locally.

So I'm bringing my Tor relay back online, and throttling it up so that
it now eats twice as much of their bandwidth \o/

(I thought it prudent to keep the relay offline until I understood what
was really going on.  Short bursts of packet loss like this, if someone
was doing that deliberately with a set pattern, would have been an ideal
way to watermark streams going in and out of the Tor network, to do some
timing correlations.  But I'm satisfied that's not what happened here.)

Stay vigilant!

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain