[tor-relays] What does this log message mean ? : Starting with guard context "default"

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 20:59:50 UTC 2017

> On 9 Feb 2017, at 02:51, Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> On 02/08/2017 12:19 PM, Pascal Terjan wrote:
> >
> > The code seems to have been added 2 months ago, so this is probably
> > expected to appear after recent updates:
> >
> >  https://github.com/torproject/tor/commit/404e9e5611eff39866c2e45133a60b40d7492f7e
> ah - and I switched to 0.3.0.3 from 0.2.9.9 few days ago, therefore I didn't hit this message before.

Here are the details of that log message:

Changes in version 0.3.0.1-alpha - 2016-12-19
  Tor 0.3.0.1-alpha is the first alpha release in the 0.3.0 development
  series. It...improves the algorithm that
  clients use to choose and maintain their list of guards...

  Below are the changes since 0.2.9.8.

  o Major features (guard selection algorithm):
    - Tor's guard selection algorithm has been redesigned from the
      ground up, to better support unreliable networks and restrictive
      sets of entry nodes, and to better resist guard-capture attacks by
      hostile local networks. Implements proposal 271; closes
      ticket 19877.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/ChangeLog?id=ac04fcd2e758c2258cbde8c8f31586695cb5d666#n12

This is the description of the "normal" guard context:

  /** Use the normal guard selection algorithm, taking our sample from the
   * complete list of guards in the consensus. */
  GS_TYPE_NORMAL=1,

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/entrynodes.h?id=ac04fcd2e758c2258cbde8c8f31586695cb5d666#n225

The message comes from create_initial_guard_context().

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/entrynodes.c?id=ac04fcd2e758c2258cbde8c8f31586695cb5d666#n273

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n