[tor-relays] Minimum port 80 and 443 exit policy

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 05:43:41 UTC 2017

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 16:16, anondroid <tor at anondroid.com> wrote:
>
> > I was wondering what the minimum exit policy was (wrt port 80 and 443) for a Tor exit relay.
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2294
>
> "A router is called an 'Exit' iff it allows exits to at least two of the ports 80, 443, and 6667 and allows exits to at least one /8 address space."

With the introduction of microdescriptors, exits that reject more than
2 IPv4 /8s are considered not to exit to "most addresses".
So they are given port summaries that say they reject all ports, and
clients won't use them.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2110

For IPv6, Exits summarise their own ports in descriptors, and this is
copied into their microdescriptor:
* in master, Exits that reject more than an IPv6 /16 claim they reject
  all ports,
* in all released versions of tor, Exits that reject any IPv6
  address mistakenly say they reject all ports. This happens by default
  for IPv6 Exits with an ORPort on 0.2.8 and later.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n565

> As an aside, I just noticed there's a typo in the spec there at line 2294 -- it reads"iff" instead of "if".

"iif" is shorthand for "if and only if".

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org