[tor-relays] Can it be done? - IPv6 only Relay

Valter Jansons valter.jansons at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 13:15:33 UTC 2017

Stijn,

When you are starting up a relay, it will do self-tests on whether the
ORPort you have specified is reachable from outside network and that is
what you will have a bad time with. As IPv6 self-testing is not a thing yet
(Ref: TracTicket#24403
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24403>) and it will then
be doing self-tests on the IPv4 address, which will fail as the relay will
not be reachable on that. There's TracTicket#4565
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4565> about IPv6
relay-to-relay communications in general as well. All in all, some
groundwork has been laid out for IPv6 in general but research and (a lot
of) development is still to take place.

-- 4096R/A83CE748 Valters Jansons