[tor-relays] New Relay Online/Working on AWS Cloud Torproject

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Fri Dec 22 10:54:00 UTC 2017

Conrad Rockenhaus:
> I noticed this when I started it up. It appears that the version of
> Tor on EPEL is out of date. I’ll build it out of source to fix it.
> I’ll probably have to do that for the Cloud solution as well since
> the lifecycle of EPEL is normally behind.

0.2.9.14 reached stable ~16 hours ago
(generally a EPEL package stays in testing for 2 weeks before reaching stable)
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2017-97efaab7e7

If you do not want to build yourself you can enable the EPEL testing repo
to get updates faster.
If timely tor updates is a top priority, you might want to choose another OS.

Also please enable auto updates on your images so we avoid having lots of outdated
relays on the network.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/OperatorsTips/RPMUpdates#CentOSandRHEL

- please automate the process of setting a proper MyFamily configuration
- please ensure that relays have a meaningful ContactInfo set

please do not forget to set MyFamily on all your relays
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/A5C6D2EBCCA77D0B09364DD6B75FEC817AF977FA

teor wrote:
> I also wonder if there's a way of giving people a BSD image option
> as well.

Yes, BSD images would be great!

IMHO the biggest drawback with AWS is bw cost - which is a
lot more expensive than most other hosters. With the same kind of
money operators would be able to push a lot more traffic if they choose an
unmetered hoster. From a cost point of view I would advise against AWS.

thanks for your efforts

--
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu
twitter: @nusenu_