[tor-relays] restarting tor service after AccountingMax has been reached

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 21:31:48 UTC 2017

> On 21 Dec 2017, at 08:10, Fabian A. Santiago <fsantiago at garbage-juice.com> wrote:
>
> December 20, 2017 3:32 PM, "teor" <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> On 21 Dec 2017, at 03:07, Fabian A. Santiago <fsantiago at garbage-juice.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm noticing that if i attempt to restart tor AFTER AccountingMax has been reached (meaning it's
>>> currently hibernating), tor itself fails to start.
>>
>> What do you mean by "fails to start"?
>> What are the log messages?
>>
>>> if i increase AccountingMax in torrc, then it restarts just fine.
>>>
>>> normal?
>>
>> It's hard to say, without any log messages.
>
> Teor,
>
> the logs look normal. maybe I've misinterpreted not opening the listening ports as not starting. I didn't check the actual systemd service status (silly me, I know). it's running now so next time I encounter this, I'll double check.

It is normal for Tor to close its listening ports when hibernating.
It is normal for hibernation to persist across a restart.

If you check the logs, it probably says something about this on startup,
and when it starts hibernating.

(When Tor doesn't have the right permissions to re-open these ports, the
process will exit when it resumes from hibernation. That's a config issue,
not a bug.)

> I also noticed in journalctl that it (Tor) wanted me to add 'ExitRelay 1' in my torrc to disable the exit relay warning and for future config requirements (it said). so i did that as well. all seems well as of now.

Tim / teor

ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n