[tor-relays] botnet? abusing/attacking guard nodes

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 00:13:49 UTC 2017

> On 19 Dec 2017, at 10:10, r1610091651 <r1610091651 at telenet.be> wrote:
>
> I don't quite understand the last calculation.

It's a slightly better approximation that my wild guess.

> "if all 65535 connections on an IP were open" => I'm guessing you mean ports

No, I mean:
"let's use 65535 as the approximate limit on connections from behind a NAT,
even though it could be larger or smaller depending on the bandwidth and
RAM available to the NAT"

The technical limit is the number of unique (source IP, source port,
destination IP, destination port) tuples, or 65535 per source IP to every
unique Tor ORPort. But that's hardly ever reached.

> "the biggest Tor Guard has 0.91% Guard probability" => percentage of all entries into the network handled by this guard
>
> => 0.91% of all user connections
> but how many user connections are there at a time?

Let's assume there are at most 65535 connections at once time from every
source IP into the Tor network.

> and then don't understand how probability and ports availability can be combined?

If there are 65535 connections open from a source IP, and they all go to
Tor Guards, and the clients weight connections according to Guard
probability, then the largest guard will have 0.91% of 65535 connections,
or approximately 597.

Most guards would see 10-200 connections per IP.