[tor-relays] botnet? abusing/attacking guard nodes

starlight.2017q4 at binnacle.cx starlight.2017q4 at binnacle.cx
Sun Dec 17 19:19:26 UTC 2017

>My relay ran out of connections once and also crashed once so I followed
>the suggestions in the "DoS attacks are real (probably)" thread and
>implemented connection limits in my firewall. Everything has run
>smoothly since.

I missed this thread, thank you for highlighting it!

>My only concern is how low I can set the number of connections per IP
>address. Someone wrote a legit client will only open max 2 tcp
>connections. I'd like this verified before I lower my limits further.

Two connection limit is fine for single-IP clients, but will
penalize multiple clients operating behind NAT IPs.  I've
decided that's too bad for them for the moment. . .

Limiting connections-per-IP fixes it.  I set

   -m connlimit --connlimit-above 2 --connlimit-mask 32 -j DROP

and obtained good mitigation.  The attacker relies on opening
tons of connections and this simple rules squashes it.  Rule
accumulated 15 million hits over a short span.

I have kept an eye on the number of peer-relay connections
and client connections for a long time and the client
connection count has been artificially high of late.
With the above rule it went right back to the usual
level.

The limit can be higher than two and it should work
as well--the rate of new connections appears to be
critical to the attack.  Possibly the low performance
CPU here lacking AES hardware mitigates it since each
connection appears to require an onionskin calculation,
and whatever old-connection cleanup logic exists in Tor
easily keeps pace.  This has been going on for months
and only became a problem now with the attacker
enhancing it to somehow queue huge amounts of data
on circuits--but per my initial post that's simple
to mitigate.