[tor-relays] SOLVED: Failing because we have 4063 connections already // Number of file descriptors

Ralph Seichter m16+tor at monksofcool.net
Fri Dec 15 11:44:23 UTC 2017

On 15.12.2017 11:12, Toralf Förster wrote:

> # cat /etc/conf.d/tor
> #
> # Set the file limit
> rc_ulimit="-n 30000"

Ah, thanks a lot! Limits were implied by openrc-run/start-stop-daemon,
overriding my limits.conf entries.

Turns out that /etc/conf.d/tor got deleted, although I have no idea how
that happened. I built Tor from the official source tarball and created
my own versions of /etc/init.d/tor and /etc/conf.d/tor (both files are
part of Gentoo's net-vpn/tor package).

I manually re-created /etc/conf.d/tor and verified that the max number
of open file descriptors matches rc_ulimit. The relay has now been up
for half an hour without logging errors.

Thanks again, to both Toralf and r1610091651.

-Ralph