[tor-relays] Is your IPv6 relay not Running?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 10:46:41 UTC 2017

> On 15 Dec 2017, at 21:09, Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2017 11:20 PM, teor wrote:
>>
>> We're working on having better support for IPv6 across Relay Search and
>> consensus health.
>
> At my 2 relays (1AF72E8906 and D11D1187776) I have both ipv4 and ipv6 activated.
> The load is about 1.5 TByte/day. 300 GByte/day do come in over the ipv6 interface but will leave the relays over ipv4.

What do you mean by "come in over"?
Traffic from the internet to your relay?

Are your relays Exits?

> May I asked why thjis imbalance does occur?

The short answer:

Tor is a cell-oriented protocol, it works regardless of
the IP version or specific transport used.

The long answer:

Relays only connect to each other over IPv4.

Relays accept connections from clients over IPv6 when
configured with:

ORPort [IPv6]:Port

Tor clients have to be manually configured to use IPv6, but some
software (like iOS OnionBrowser) configures IPv6 automatically for
the user using OS-specific APIs.

Exits make connections to internet servers over IPv6 when
configured with:

IPv6Exit 1

Recent Tor clients tell Exits that they will accept and prefer IPv6
for connections to servers with dual-stack DNS.

So a typical circuit looks like:

Client (IPv4 or IPv6) Entry (IPv4) Middle (IPv4) Exit (IPv4 or IPv6) Internet

Web clients typically make small requests, and get larger responses.
So if you're seeing more incoming IPv6, then it's probably because
your relays are Exits.

Otherwise, if you're seeing more outgoing, it's probably because your
relays are Guards and Directory Mirrors.