[tor-relays] Alleged Family Members / Stable flag "issues"

Stijn Jonker sjcjonker at sjc.nl
Fri Dec 15 06:50:30 UTC 2017

Hi Teor,

Thanks for responding:

On 14 Dec 2017, at 22:56, teor wrote:

> > On 15 Dec 2017, at 06:38, Stijn Jonker <sjcjonker at sjc.nl> wrote:
>>
>> For a little short of a year I'm running Relay SJC01
>> (328E54981C6DDD7D89B89E418724A4A7881E3192), there was some unnoticed
>> outage of the relay which caused a couple days of downtime. This was
>> at the end of Nov, oddly enough I don't seem to get back the "Stable"
>> flag.
>>
>> In searches I found some conflicting answers, it's either 7 days of
>> uptime, a median of seven days of the entire uptime and/or the advice
>> to check
>> https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health-2017-12-14-18-00.html#328E54981C6DDD7D89B89E418724A4A7881E3192
>>
> The exact figure depends on each authority and its history of your
> relay's stability. And how that stability compares to all other relays
> it has measured.
>> What I don't understand is the differences in the output of the
>> concensus:
>> - The concensus nodes that don't have IPv6 (assumed from "KnownFlags"
>> from top of page. (longclaw, dizum, moria1 and faravahar) list my
>> relay with Stable/Guard.
>> - The concensus nodes that do assign the "ReachableIPv6" flag, don't
>> have my relay listed with those flags.
>>
> Does your relay have a stable IPv6 connection?
> Was it down over IPv6 at some point in the past?

The IPv6 connectivity is not less stable then the IPv4. The IPv6 is
native, and used in day-2-day usage as well. Also smokeping/Nagios (ran
via an other device, but same uplink) don't report any differences in
connectivity (or the lack thereof).

> Alternately, the authorities that measure IPv6 may see the entire set
> of relays
> as being less stable. (I can't imagine how they would see them as more
> stable.)
> But if this were the case, they would be more likely to give the flag.
>> To test the IPv6 function, I took an VM outside of my network and ran
>> Tor with "UseBridges" only allowing via iptables IPv6 out to my relay
>> as entry node, and it the relay is/was functioning on IPv6.
>>
> How often does your IPv6 go down?

On average, I would say one or two hours a month.

>> Now happy to wait an other week/month etc for the stable flag. It
>> doesn't add value to me, but I'm more curious why the flag doesn't
>> return.
>>
> Please wait a few more days.

:-) I'll wait thanks for the response.

Stijn

--
Yours Sincerely / Met Vriendelijke groet,
Stijn Jonker