[tor-relays] Alleged Family Members / Stable flag "issues"

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 21:56:40 UTC 2017

> On 15 Dec 2017, at 06:38, Stijn Jonker <sjcjonker at sjc.nl> wrote:
>
> For a little short of a year I'm running Relay SJC01 (328E54981C6DDD7D89B89E418724A4A7881E3192), there was some unnoticed outage of the relay which caused a couple days of downtime. This was at the end of Nov, oddly enough I don't seem to get back the "Stable" flag.
>
> In searches I found some conflicting answers, it's either 7 days of uptime, a median of seven days of the entire uptime and/or the advice to check https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health-2017-12-14-18-00.html#328E54981C6DDD7D89B89E418724A4A7881E3192

The exact figure depends on each authority and its history of your
relay's stability. And how that stability compares to all other relays
it has measured.
> What I don't understand is the differences in the output of the concensus:
> - The concensus nodes that don't have IPv6 (assumed from "KnownFlags" from top of page. (longclaw, dizum, moria1 and faravahar) list my relay with Stable/Guard.
> - The concensus nodes that do assign the "ReachableIPv6" flag, don't have my relay listed with those flags.

Does your relay have a stable IPv6 connection?
Was it down over IPv6 at some point in the past?

Alternately, the authorities that measure IPv6 may see the entire set of relays
as being less stable. (I can't imagine how they would see them as more stable.)
But if this were the case, they would be more likely to give the flag.
> To test the IPv6 function, I took an VM outside of my network and ran Tor with "UseBridges" only allowing via iptables IPv6 out to my relay as entry node, and it the relay is/was functioning on IPv6.

How often does your IPv6 go down?
> Now happy to wait an other week/month etc for the stable flag. It doesn't add value to me, but I'm more curious why the flag doesn't return.

Please wait a few more days.