[tor-relays] Removed x bytes by killing y circuits

Felix zwiebel at quantentunnel.de
Thu Dec 14 20:12:46 UTC 2017

Hi

> Do you see a log line that relates to which type of "Scheduler" you are using
> such as:
>
>     [notice] Scheduler type KIST has been enabled.

It's Freebsd:
[notice] Scheduler type KISTLite has been enabled.

> It is seriously a huge amount of circuit and very little data. For isntance
> 13344 bytes that is 0.013 MB for 594572 circuits is just weird.
>
> Is there a chance you are being DoS in some capacity? That is bunch of
> circuits being opened constantly but with no traffic? You would see that with
> many inbound connections and if they come from non relays also.

This happens every some weeks to different relays. Inbound connections
are on a normal level. I believe some client(?) tries a DoS type of
circuit exhaustion, at least it seems. The number of circuits goes up to
over a million. If it goes with much memory consumption the
remove/killing comes along.

> Another possibility is that Tor is failing to cleanup inactive circuits but
> with more information, we can eliminate options more easily.

What can I do ? The relay is still on with 3.4 GB. But circuits are
pretty relaxed since five hours.

--
Cheers, Felix