[tor-relays] Alleged Family Members / Stable flag "issues"

Stijn Jonker sjcjonker at sjc.nl
Thu Dec 14 19:38:34 UTC 2017

Hi all,

For a little short of a year I'm running Relay SJC01 (328E54981C6DDD7D89B89E418724A4A7881E3192), there was some unnoticed outage of the relay which caused a couple days of downtime. This was at the end of Nov, oddly enough I don't seem to get back the "Stable" flag.

In searches I found some conflicting answers, it's either 7 days of uptime, a median of seven days of the entire uptime and/or the advice to check https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health-2017-12-14-18-00.html#328E54981C6DDD7D89B89E418724A4A7881E3192

What I don't understand is the differences in the output of the concensus:
- The concensus nodes that don't have IPv6 (assumed from "KnownFlags" from top of page. (longclaw, dizum, moria1 and faravahar) list my relay with Stable/Guard.
- The concensus nodes that do assign the "ReachableIPv6" flag, don't have my relay listed with those flags.

To test the IPv6 function, I took an VM outside of my network and ran Tor with "UseBridges" only allowing via iptables IPv6 out to my relay as entry node, and it the relay is/was functioning on IPv6.

Now happy to wait an other week/month etc for the stable flag. It doesn't add value to me, but I'm more curious why the flag doesn't return.

The same with the Alleged Family Member, I had an relay / exit with a reduced exit policy ($F8333E028E952840C1B93DAEE20880F75B90A68A) but that has been gone for quite some weeks (months) as it was taken down by the hoster. Now all info I can find is that when the relay doesn't announce this anymore one can expect it to be gone after some days/weeks. But in this case it's not going away.

If there are actions on my side happy to take them, but I can't find the "right thing" to do here.

Thanks!

--
Yours Sincerely / Met Vriendelijke groet,
Stijn Jonker