[tor-relays] DoS attacks are real (probably)

Felix zwiebel at quantentunnel.de
Mon Dec 11 17:07:30 UTC 2017

Hi Alex

Great points.

>     conntrack -L -p tcp --dport 9001 | awk '{print $5}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

On FreeBSD one can do:

In packetfilter:

# play with the numbers but more than 64k per ip if possible
set limit { frags 70000, src-nodes 70000, states 70000, table-entries
100000 }

table <blockOR> persist

# 2000 is super high. Rate limit 50 new connects per 5 secs
# overload but not flush
pass in on $if_ext inet proto tcp from any to $relay_ip port $or_port
flags S/SA modulate state (max-src-conn 2000,max-src-conn-rate
50/5,overload <blockOR>)

As cronjob:

# release block after 10 minutes
pfctl -t blockOR -T expire 600

These measures protect your system. IMO for other or future cases we
should keep the clients degree of freedom (researchers / fancy doers) as
high as possible, being not too restrictive.

> 1. Open many OR connections (hundreds to thousands)
> 2. Leave open until tor runs out of sockets

If the ip is saturated for like 2 hours the relay might loose the hsdir
flag. But today there are not enough resources in the game to generate
an issue for the network.

> I recommend against
> the blanket approach suggested previously of limiting whole sets of
> /24s, since that may inadvertently block mobile clients and is not
> effective against the current attack.

Right. In future one could put such loud clients besides useful ips a
let the relays block the usefull.

> 2. the connections do not taper off if they are rejected. I banned these
> addresses from accessing Tor, and they continue to make dozens of
> connection attempts every second from each IP address. this means that
> this is probably not a good faith "test" or a misconfigured set of real
> Tor clients, but is instead malicious and using a modified or custom
> client.

The above rule limits the useless attempts to a certain limit and
recovers after 10 minutes. This protects but gives the 'offender' the
chance to tune his client to a better behaviour (in case he wants it).

> 3c. it is almost certainly not real clients using NAT; as far as I know,
> LeaseWeb does not use NAT, and Online.net only uses one-to-one NAT.

Good point. A general blocking rule should be smart enough to enable NAT
clients anyway ?

--
Cheers, Felix