[tor-relays] So long and thanks for all the abuse complaints

Vasilis andz at torproject.org
Thu Dec 7 17:14:00 UTC 2017

Hello,

Thanks to everyone that operates relays and jungles with the abuse
complains. Indeed is a very cumbersome approach and people are getting
easily/hard frustrated but at some point people are unfortunately decide
that cannot operate any more these relays.

From personal experience it really varies from ISP to ISP network and
quite often many administrators and NOCs suspend or terminate the
network services for a specific server, VM, device when they see abuse
alerts even if there are automated (quite often SPAM) email reports.

Suggestions:
Do you think that it makes sense to co-ordinate and post a blog about
the abuse reports, some countermeasures and explanations on why people
should _perhaps_ not freak out when they receive automated abuse emails?

Going a bit further we can categorize and catalog common automatic abuse
emails sent to relays operators and a short explanation of this was
counteracted. I'm sure there will be a website that does collect general
ISP abuse emails but not only related to Tor relays. Some trac wiki
pages were we may integrate this information to:
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/abuse/templates
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/OperatorsTips
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ISPCorrespondence

Cheers,
~Vasilis
--
Fingerprint: 8FD5 CF5F 39FC 03EB B382 7470 5FBF 70B1 D126 0162
Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5FBF70B1D1260162