[tor-relays] So long and thanks for all the abuse complaints

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 21:13:07 UTC 2017

> On 6 Dec 2017, at 01:35, tor at t-3.net wrote:
>
> Abuse complaints are how this thing goes. With your limited exit policy, you would hardly see any complaints (relatively speaking), and what you do see would be mostly like SQL hack complaints and such. It's usually not going to be cases where someone got all the way into someone's machine, it's going to be mainly complaints about attempts.

Our provider became concerned about the volume of abuse complaints
we were receiving, so we added a "reject IP:Port" to our exit policy for
each one. (Or a /24 for noisy netblocks.)

The volume dried up pretty quickly when we went back through historical
emails and added about 30 entries. It seems that there are only a few
really big complainers.

So that's another alternative that preserves access to 99% of the Internet
from your exit.