[tor-relays] UbuntuCore stats update

Chad MILLER chad at cornsilk.net
Tue Dec 5 03:18:35 UTC 2017

Hi all. I generate* the packages that make up those UbuntuCore relays and
bridges you hear about some time in here.

I intended it to be a low-friction way normal joes can help Tor. There have
been a good number of volunteers.

The automatic-update system of Snap means the security update of a few days
ago gives some population info through download stats.

About 2200+ machines updated to last week's release. Almost all are amd64,
though a few percent are i386 or armhf. I don't know of any arm64 yet.
They're mostly desktops and servers. I see several new downloads every day.

Judging from the new Atlas, about 800 are have checked in to try to join
the consensus, and a little more than 100 are active at any time.

Some working details: The package has a kill-switch so that it no longer
starts after a few months of staleness (if I'm ever hit by a bus). At first
launch, Tor creates a key and the last two bits of the key determines the
role of the instance, with a 1/4 chance of becoming a obfs4 bridge. The
default bandwidth limit is a modest 4 megabits per second. Also by default,
it tries to punch holes in NAT to make itself available for incoming
connections, but I don't have a lot of confidence that is often successful.

I remain on this list and am always happy to answer questions or
suggestions.

*
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~privacy-squad/+junk/tor-middle-relay-snap/files

--
Chad Miller    chad.org    gpg:a806deac30420066