[tor-relays] So long and thanks for all the abuse complaints

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Mon Dec 4 19:00:06 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 04/12/17 18:19, Ralph Seichter wrote:
> This is not about third party X complaining to the hoster about their
> network being scanned. The hoster itself is automatically monitoring all
> their machines for outgoing network scans, as these scans are prohibited
> by their terms of use.

I do wonder how much of this is related to the scarcity of IPv4 address
space, prevalence of reputation systems and fear of ending up being
labeled as "bad". When we move to IPv6, perhaps hosting providers would
be more relaxed knowing that it doesn't matter so much if a /64 or even
a /56 ends up bad in a reputation system, because for other customers
you have other address space.

Thanks,
Iain.