[tor-relays] Any IP allocations available out there?

Christopher yawnbox at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 08:11:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Paul Templeton <paul at coffswifi.net> wrote:
> Thanx to all here on the list for input to earlier posts. Helped a lot.
>
> Question I have is there anywhere where you can get a block of IP address or lease as I'm in the process of getting a 10/10Mb SHDSL service(No flaming data cap :-)) here in AU but I want an IP range that abuse questions can be forwarded to me. The service provider doesn't provide ARIN registration but said if I have my own block I can update the BG and manage it my self.

If you're interested in becoming your own ISP (obtaining your own ASN,
IPv6 and IPv4 scopes), you'll need to apply via APNIC, as I did in the
US with ARIN. Here is an example:

1. Find co-location space in AU with good prices. Be transparent and
educational about what you plan on doing so your provider isn't
surprised. You would need to get a quote from them for 2U of space, 2
amps of power, 100Mbps commit on a 1G port, and a /28 or greater. You
need two low power systems, one router (pfsense, opnsense, etc) for
BGP and general routing, and one system for Tor processes. You will
run middle relays until you get your own IP scopes -- rDNS and SWIP is
not enough to get all abuse to come directly to you.

2. Once you have your /28 (etc) IPv4 scope (Tor still depends on v4),
you can apply to APNIC for ASN and IP scopes. I encourage you to
prioritize IPv6, but v4 is still required. You need to show current IP
usage in order to apply for, and be granted, your own IP scopes
(chicken before the egg). ARIN is $550 for ASN, and $500 each for v6
(/36) and v4 (/24) scopes. Each item is $100 recurring annually, but I
don't know what APNIC charges for any of those things.

3. Once you have your own AS and IPs, you'll need to sign a BGP Letter
of Agency (LOA) with your transit provider so they can announce your
IP scopes upstream. Then you can then change your IPs and begin exit
relaying if you're comfortable with that.

So, there's lots of details that I didn't go into, obviously this
example depends on many things and also requires knowledge of certain
systems and legality. Doing all of this will require a couple thousand
dollars and fortitude, especially if you are new to networking. Happy
to help further if needed.

Cheers,

Yawnbox
https://emeraldonion.org/