[tor-relays] Unable to compile Tor

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Wed Aug 23 12:59:36 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Alan <tor-relay at clutterbuck.uk> wrote:
> Up until now i've relied on updating Tor using yum update but the version
> on the repos is currently 0.2.9.10 . Arm reports this as unrecommended, so
> compiling from source looks to be the only option.
>
> I pulled down 0.3.0.10, untarred and ran ./configure && make
> I get these errors--
> ----------------------------
> In file included from src/common/tortls.c:52:0:
> src/common/tortls.h:140:15: error: conflicting types for
> ‘SSL_SESSION_get_master_key’
>  STATIC size_t SSL_SESSION_get_master_key(SSL_SESSION *s, uint8_t *out,
>                ^
> In file included from src/common/tortls.c:40:0:
> /usr/local/include/openssl/ssl.h:1725:15: note: previous declaration of
> ‘SSL_SESSION_get_master_key’ was here
>  __owur size_t SSL_SESSION_get_master_key(const SSL_SESSION *ssl,
>                ^
> src/common/tortls.c: In function ‘find_cipher_by_id’:
> src/common/tortls.c:1331:21: warning: unused variable ‘c’ [-Wunused-variable]
>    const SSL_CIPHER *c;

Hi!  To me these errors  look like there's a mismatch between the
versions of the openssl headers and the version of the openssl library
-- as if Tor detected one version of openssl with the library search
during configure, but we're compiling against the headers from another
version of openssl.

--with-openssl-dir might be able to clear this up, as might manually
tinkering with CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.

Anyone else have tips here?

--
Nick