[tor-relays] Bandwidth Question

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 00:40:26 UTC 2017

> On 21 Aug 2017, at 04:07, Torix <torix at protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear List,
>
> I run a middle node at home.  I jacked up my bandwidth from 300/500 KB to 500/700 KB a fortnight ago, and my usage has more than doubled.  I run it on Verizon FIOS at home; I'm looking at about 650-750 G/month estimate now from vnstat.  I read that Verizon starts to take notice if I get to a TB/month, so I am asking for advice on easing this back if necessary.
>
> I can limit the daily bandwidth - or can I just ease down the bandwidth?  Clearly each time I increased the bandwidth I got more connexions; would they drop off if I went back to my old bandwidth?  I'm a little unclear how long it would take other relays to attach to other middle relays once they have found mine.
>
> The more general question behind this is: is it better to have a higher bandwidth for a limited time each day or a lower bandwidth up all day?

A higher bandwidth for part of the month.
Use AccountingMax and AccountingStart month.
See https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en for details.

This is a regular question: we should add a FAQ for it.
Search the list for more details.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n