[tor-relays] Bandwidth Question

Torix torix at protonmail.com
Sun Aug 20 18:07:00 UTC 2017

Dear List,

I run a middle node at home.  I jacked up my bandwidth from 300/500 KB to 500/700 KB a fortnight ago, and my usage has more than doubled.  I run it on Verizon FIOS at home; I'm looking at about 650-750 G/month estimate now from vnstat.  I read that Verizon starts to take notice if I get to a TB/month, so I am asking for advice on easing this back if necessary.

I can limit the daily bandwidth - or can I just ease down the bandwidth?  Clearly each time I increased the bandwidth I got more connexions; would they drop off if I went back to my old bandwidth?  I'm a little unclear how long it would take other relays to attach to other middle relays once they have found mine.

The more general question behind this is: is it better to have a higher bandwidth for a limited time each day or a lower bandwidth up all day?