[tor-relays] OS diversity of tor relays (was Re: Relay uptime versus outdated Tor version)

Zack Weinberg zackw at cmu.edu
Sat Aug 19 13:51:13 UTC 2017

Relay diversity and client diversity are two different things. Last I heard
it was a bad idea to run a relay on the same computer as a client, so I
don't think Tor Browser for server OSes like Solaris is a great use of
developer effort.

Windows is certainly the highest-value target for client diversity efforts.
I hear the Brave company is hiring someone to work specifically on Tor
integration, maybe you want to apply: https://brave.com/jobs/?gh_jid=781438

In my opinion, the best way to improve relay diversity would be to work on
system administration automation. For instance, as far as I know there is
no equivalent of Debian's 'unattended-upgrades' tool for any of the BSDs,
or even for most Linux distributions.

zw

(Please forgive the top-posting and HTML, I'm writing this on a phone.)