[tor-relays] Relay uptime versus outdated Tor version

Duncan dguthrie at posteo.net
Fri Aug 18 12:56:10 UTC 2017

In theory hot-patching kernels is a great idea.

However, they're technically not loading a new kernel. Something like
kexec in theory lets one load a new kernel.

Furthermore, these hot-patching programs usually only support Linux. If
we want to increase the diversity of the Tor network, as we most
certainly should, then we need more BSD relays, so these hot-patching
programs don't cut it.

It's also worth remembering that there are miscellaneous other services
and system components that aren't necessarily reloaded by a new kernel.
If the C standard library got an update, it's not possible to hot patch
that.

Just restart it. It takes a few minutes, it's actually guaranteed to
work unlike dubious hot-patching programs.

Keepyourprivacy: