[tor-relays] IXPs in the United States

Christopher yawnbox at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 20:25:59 UTC 2017

Hello,

Emerald Onion (https://twitter.com/EmeraldOnion) is researching
Internet Exchange Points in the United States in order to bolster Tor
relay deployments within our legal jurisdiction. We have blogged a
list of IXPs we've identified so far:

https://emeraldonion.org/internet-exchange-points-in-the-united-states/

Please note that Emerald Onion would not be the org to deploy more
relays in other cities. We are interested in helping others in those
regions become their own ISP. (See
https://emeraldonion.org/development/ for related education.)

1. Are there any Tor routers connected to any United States-based
IXPs? If so, which ones and who operates them?

We know of at least four:

a. Calyx Institute on NYIIX https://www.peeringdb.com/net/4594
b. XMission on Equinix Ashburn, SIX Seattle, and SLIX
https://www.peeringdb.com/net/789
c. Riseup Networks on SIX Seattle https://www.peeringdb.com/net/9021
d. Emerald Onion on SIX Seattle https://www.peeringdb.com/net/14010

2. Is this IXP friendly to Tor?

3. What is the organizational structure of this IXP? Such as
corporate-run or community-driven, etc.

Please let me know if you have any helpful information. I'm also
reachable via Signal.

https://yawnbox.com/contact/

Cheers,
Yawnbox