[tor-relays] New Here

Duncan dguthrie at posteo.net
Fri Aug 11 21:33:54 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

Paul Templeton:
> Hi all,
>
> Have been running a mirror for a couple of years and haven't had much
> time to dedicate to and exit node but have finally committed to it.
> Found a provider that doesn't seem to have a cap on data and it will
> cost me about five euros a month.
>
> Question I have is two fold. First I find that atlas.torproject.org
> sometime says the node is down but its running and connected. Secondly
> how dose the bandwidth throttling work. I have set it to 300kbits with
> 500kbit burst but I can see the in/out traffic staying over 1mb for
> large periods of time and bursting to 7/8mb. Its not a problem just
> curios.

For bandwidth throttling, the option "BandwidthRate" applies to both
incoming and outgoing traffic. That is, setting BandwidthRate to 300
Kbytes will limit incoming traffic to 300 kilobytes/s and outgoing
traffic to 300 kilobytes/s. It's possible that whatever is measuring the
in/out traffic is combining both these values (hence the 1megabit for
the 500kbit value). The option "BandwidthBurst" behaves in a similar
manner.

The manual explains each option in the torrc reasonably fully:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en
(Alternatively, the command 'man tor' should display a virtual manual on
the computer.)

I'm not sure why you'd be seeing the latter burst but I suspect the
reason is due to an ill-configured torrc. It's probably worth checking
the options again after reading the manual and reloading the Tor
service.

Best,
Duncan