[tor-relays] Fwd: Your TOR relay

Duncan dguthrie at posteo.net
Tue Aug 8 02:15:00 UTC 2017

Hi "Dennis",

I'm all for nameservers aimed at anonymous usage, albeit run in a
democratic and transparent manner.

However, your mail is enough to arouse significant suspicion.

One would suggest that a legitimate project like this would post to
public Tor mailing lists or similar places. You could have sent a
friendly email to tor-talk introducing yourself and your project, and
why we exit node operators might want to get involved.

It's plain to see that you haven't done that, other than some recent
advertisement on Tor Stack Exchange, which might otherwise be considered
spam.

As far as I can tell, you've only emailed exit node operators individually.

You've added a phone number to lend more legitimacy to your online
identity, but it looks remarkably like those sink-hole telephone numbers
people rent online.

You've styled the email as if you've just happened to find the relay on
Atlas. This is statistically improbable, considering there are about 800
Tor exits.

There are already alternative nameservers that have a good reputation
already, such as OpenNIC, so what do yours offer that these don't?

Finally, your response to the mail being forwarded to a public list is
significantly concerning, in its furious nature. There are very real
fears about malicious DNS servers - this seems like a trap to anyone
looking with a passing glance at your message.

I wish you well, maybe you'd like to post to tor-talk and discuss this
instead of adopting a (concerning and frankly suspicious) attitude to
people calling you out in public.

I appreciate running a public nameserver costs you money, but one might
suggest that if you were a malicious party, you'd be doing it for
ulterior motives that might reimburse you financially.

Dennis Emory Hannon: