[tor-relays] HOW-TO: Simple DNS resolver for tor exit operators

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sun Aug 6 20:16:50 UTC 2017

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 16:03:53 -0400
"Dennis Emory Hannon" <info at backplanedns.org> wrote:

> I decided to make a quick starter guide to introduce using a local resolver
> for tor-exit node operators. I'd like to solicit some of your feedback on
> things that should be added or improved upon. Hopefully this will be a
> living document - My goal is to help lower the amount of TOR exit relays
> using 3rd party DNS providers for client DNS lookups. While it doesn't
> address all security concerns, it's a necessary step to improving anonymity
> of TOR's users. Let me know what you think.
>
> Guide is meant for debian/linux users
> http://backplanedns.org/TOR_exit_dns_resolver_howto.htm

> in the clearweb are being probably being logged. In this simple tutorial

Your tutorial is in the clearweb itself, and probably not only being logged,
but also can be MITMed to include all sorts of malicious instructions and/or
rewrite the recommended third party resolver IPs to an attacker-controlled
ones.

Why not use HTTPS for the website? Doubly weird that you want to educate
others on security topics, and then don't follow the best practices yourself.

--
With respect,
Roman