[tor-relays] ORSN DNS servers vs OpenNic

Nagaev Boris bnagaev at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 16:43:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 3:18 PM, niftybunny
<abuse at to-surf-and-protect.net> wrote:
> I use:
>
> nameserver 204.152.184.76
> nameserver 194.150.168.168
> nameserver 213.73.91.35
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>
> works fine. Google as gateway of last resort :)

I'd add also 77.88.8.8 (https://dns.yandex.ru) and 80.80.80.80
(http://freenom.world) to the list.

What do you think about the following configuration?

Tor -> DNS cache ->
 1. Your own recursive DNS resolver
 2. (if it fails) Your ISP's DNS resolver
 3. (if it fails) Open DNS servers (maybe random of them?)

> niftybunny
>
> Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise.
>
> Thomas Gray
>
> On 4. Aug 2017, at 16:11, Chuck McAndrew <chuck.mcandrew at leblibrary.com>
> wrote:
>
> What are the best DNS servers to use for Privacy? I have been using OpenNic
> Project servers which don't do logging, but recently found out about the
> Open Root Server Network (ORSN) and have been considering using them as
> well. Does anyone have any thoughts, positive or negative, about either of
> these? Are there better public DNS servers to use?
> Thanks
> Chuck
>
> --
> The Right-To-Know Law provides that most e-mail communications, to or from
> Lebanon Public Libraries employees regarding the business of the library,
> are government records available to the public upon request.  Therefore,
> this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.

Best regards,
Boris Nagaev