[tor-relays] Best configuration for high speed exit relay with limited bandwith (1Tb)

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 00:10:10 UTC 2017

> On 1 Aug 2017, at 07:53, King Queen <kingqueenits at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> I have a relatively new VPS on CockBox running a Tor exit node. It's
> the $10/month one https://box.cock.li/ which means it has very fast
> network (Gigabit I think) but I can only use 1TB per month.
>
> I've done some reading round of previous posts on here over the year,
> and as a result I have variously tried / toyed with RelayBandwidthRate
> (set at 150KBps so it averages ~800gb/month) and with AccountingMax
> (15GB with AccountingStart day 00:00)
>
> But I don't know what's best for the network. Is it best to have a
> very fast exit relay for a small portion of the day (so AccountingMax
> set but no RelayBandwidthRate), a not-so-fast exit relay for more of
> the day (so AccountingMax set at 15Gb and RelayBandwidthRate at
> 250KBps) or a slower-still exit relay for all the day
> (RelayBandwidthRate 150KBps and no AccountingMax?) What is of the most
> benefit to the Tor network?

It's best for client latency to have fast relays that are up for some of
the time.

It's best for bandwidth measurement and allocation if these fast relays
are up for part of the *month*, not part of the day. (This only works
for relays with a monthly quota.)

So I'd recommend using AccountingMax on a monthly schedule with
AccountingStart set to the date and time that your limit resets.

You might want to allow a small amount of data for DNS and package
updates. 1 GB is usually more than enough.

Using a local DNS caching server will help here, and it's better for
user privacy, too.

(Slow relays that are up for all of the month are better for diversity,
but only if they get used!)

> Also: I read somewhere that Tor should un-hibernate at a random point
> each day and not directly at 00:00 as set in AccountingStart, but that
> doesn't appear to be what happens. It just sets off at midnight. To
> combat any deleterious effect that lots of people doing this might
> have on the Tor network, if I do use AccountingMax, should I set
> AccountingStart to a random time in the day?

Tor will only start at a random time if it thinks your bandwidth will
be used up before by the end of the interval. It might take a few
weeks for your relay to use all the bandwidth.

If you do set AccountingStart on a monthly schedule and set a particular
hour as the start time, it will only work on 0.3.1.1-alpha or later:

In previous Tor versions, the hour and minute are ignored for monthly
schedules.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n