[tor-relays] Relay traffic went to ~zero

Jan Jancar johny at neuromancer.sk
Fri Apr 21 16:51:16 UTC 2017

On 04/21/2017 02:45 PM, nusenu wrote:
>> Hi all, I have been running my relay for about a year now and about
>> two weeks ago my relay traffic went close to zero [1].
>>
>> Any ideas as to why?
>
> You relay's traffic went to ~zero because of problems with a tor
> network bandwidth scanner that (also) decides how much traffic you will get.
>
> Maatuska's bandwidth scanner is down since 2017-04-14 07:00.
> Maatuska's bw scanner is the bw authority with the highest measurements
> for many relays, if it no longer provides data your mean measured value
> and consensus weight will fall.
>
> For details see the last measurement vote by maatuska before it's
> scanner went offline:
>
> 2017-04-14 06:00:00 longclaw=28 moria1=22 gabelmoo=26 Faravahar=33
> maatuska=40
>
> afte maatuska went offline:
> 2017-04-14 07:00:00 maatuska=None longclaw=28 gabelmoo=26 Faravahar=33
> moria1=22
> 2017-04-14 08:00:00 moria1=22 Faravahar=33 longclaw=28 gabelmoo=26
> maatuska=None

Right, I noticed some news of a bwauth being down. However that only
went down at 2017-04-14. When I check the logs you provided, and grep
for each bwauths measures for my relay I get the following significant
jumps down:

2017-04-06 08:00:00 Faravahar=519
2017-04-06 09:00:00 Faravahar=102

2017-04-09 04:00:00 gabelmoo=203
2017-04-09 05:00:00 gabelmoo=78

2017-04-05 18:00:00 longclaw=337
2017-04-05 19:00:00 longclaw=103

2017-04-07 02:00:00 maatuska=197
2017-04-07 03:00:00 maatuska=95

2017-04-08 14:00:00 moria1=358
2017-04-08 15:00:00 moria1=55

all at around 6th - 9th. Which leads me to believe maatuska's bwauth
going down is only a partial cause of my (zero) traffic. I don't really
know what else I can do, I changed my ORport, restarted my relay, will
upgrade as 0.2.9.10 reaches `community` on Arch Linux and hope it recovers.

> Using data from collector.torproject.org I created an easy to
> search/grep output file that contains all bwauth votes for all relays
> between 2017-04-01 and 2017-04-19.
>
> You can simply grep/search for your relay(s) nickname or fingerprint to
> see if maatuska was the mean value or above the mean value for your
> relay before it went offline. If it was, you are affected by its downtime.
>
> https://github.com/nusenu/tor-network-observations/tree/master/bwauthvotes
> (this file is big: ~29MB compressed, ~464MB uncrompressed)
>
> File format:
> date nickname/fingerprint measurement-votes

Thanks for the data!

Cheers,
--
Jan
   /\  # PGP: 362056ADA8F2F4E421565EF87F4A448FE68F329D