[tor-relays] Relay traffic went to ~zero

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Fri Apr 21 12:45:00 UTC 2017

> Hi all, I have been running my relay for about a year now and about
> two weeks ago my relay traffic went close to zero [1].
>
> Any ideas as to why?

You relay's traffic went to ~zero because of problems with a tor
network bandwidth scanner that (also) decides how much traffic you will get.

Maatuska's bandwidth scanner is down since 2017-04-14 07:00.
Maatuska's bw scanner is the bw authority with the highest measurements
for many relays, if it no longer provides data your mean measured value
and consensus weight will fall.

For details see the last measurement vote by maatuska before it's
scanner went offline:

2017-04-14 06:00:00 longclaw=28 moria1=22 gabelmoo=26 Faravahar=33
maatuska=40

afte maatuska went offline:
2017-04-14 07:00:00 maatuska=None longclaw=28 gabelmoo=26 Faravahar=33
moria1=22
2017-04-14 08:00:00 moria1=22 Faravahar=33 longclaw=28 gabelmoo=26
maatuska=None

Using data from collector.torproject.org I created an easy to
search/grep output file that contains all bwauth votes for all relays
between 2017-04-01 and 2017-04-19.

You can simply grep/search for your relay(s) nickname or fingerprint to
see if maatuska was the mean value or above the mean value for your
relay before it went offline. If it was, you are affected by its downtime.

https://github.com/nusenu/tor-network-observations/tree/master/bwauthvotes
(this file is big: ~29MB compressed, ~464MB uncrompressed)

File format:
date nickname/fingerprint measurement-votes