[tor-relays] help #3

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 21:48:38 UTC 2016

> On 30 Sep 2016, at 14:37, Markus Koch <niftybunny at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Installed with apt-get and started simply as a demon aka service tor start
> Thank you for helping

Have you tried:

>>> sudo su debian-tor --shell /bin/bash --command "ulimit -Sn"
>>> sudo su debian-tor --shell /bin/bash --command "ulimit -Hn"

What are the file descriptor limits set to?
How much RAM does the system have?
What are the TCP buffer limits in the kernel?

Here's some background:

In Tor, there are the 4 C/Linux error return values that can
trigger that message:
EMFILE
ENFILE
ENOBUFS
ENOMEM

On my system, "man 2 intro" lists them as:

Too many open files...the limit on the number of
open files per process...

Too many open files in system. Maximum number of file descrip-
tors allowable on the system has been reached...

No buffer space available. An operation on a socket or pipe
was not performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer
space or because a queue was full.

Cannot allocate memory.  The new process image required more
memory than was allowed by the hardware or by system-imposed mem-
ory management constraints…

> Markus

>>> On 30 Sep 2016, at 14:01, Green Dream <greendream848 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you double-checked the ulimit was applied correctly? Including
>>> making sure it's applied to the user account running Tor? Here's how I
>>> do that on Ubuntu/Debian, assuming the user account is "debian-tor":
>>>
>>> sudo su debian-tor --shell /bin/bash --command "ulimit -Sn"
>>> sudo su debian-tor --shell /bin/bash --command "ulimit -Hn"
>>>
>>> Those should return the actual hard and soft limits being applied to
>>> the debian-tor user. In my case it returns 64000, but you'll just want
>>> to make sure it's what you're expecting.

>>> It would be easier for people to help if you elaborate a bit --
>>> perhaps the exact commands you've already tried and the log messages
>>> (if there are any other error or warning messages besides the one you
>>> already listed).
>>
>> The debian packages should set the appropriate file descriptors for you.
>> How are you launching your tor services?

>> --
>> Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)
>>
>> teor2345 at gmail dot com
>> PGP C855 6CED 5D90 A0C5 29F6 4D43 450C BA7F 968F 094B
>> ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
>> xmpp: teor at torproject dot org

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com