[tor-relays] How to get rid of 'Family' entries?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 21:30:31 UTC 2016

> On 30 Sep 2016, at 09:38, theonionbox at gmx.com wrote:
>
> Hi there!
>
> For testing purposes (The Onion Box) I've added a family entry to the configuration of my relay.
> As this other (family) relay doesn't exist I removed the entry from my torrc again - and thought it would be removed from the onionoo information as well.
> But - surprisingly - it's still in the data (several days after removal from my torrc).
>
> Is there a way to actively reset that information - or will it be forgotten by the consensus after some time?

The family line isn't in your relay descriptor:
https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/server-descriptors/2016-09-30-21-05-00-server-descriptors

Nor is it in the consensus:
https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/microdescs/consensus-microdesc/2016-09-30-21-00-00-consensus-microdesc

It may just be that OnionOO is out of date, or updates family entries on a
slower schedule.

> Additionally: Tor accepted - without complaining - a false entry. Shouldn't there be any procedure to verify this data?

What do you mean by a false entry?
What behaviour are you expecting?

Any use of a nickname in the family line generates a warning that nicknames
are not verifiable and that fingerprints should be used.

Tim