[tor-relays] Hide TOR exit on my external IP?

jensm1 jensm1 at bbjh.de
Thu Sep 29 13:24:02 UTC 2016

Hi Volker,

it's generally advised to not run an exit from your home, since this
leads to the problems you described as well as it can cause (uninformed)
law enforcement to seize all computer equipment in your home, if your
exit is involved in some crime. Therefore it's better to run an exit on
a server in a datacenter and downgrade your home connection to a
non-exit relay.

As to your subject: No, it's not possible to hide the fact that a Tor
exit is on that specific IP, since at least the Tor-facing IP must be
made public in the consensus, so clients can actually connect to your exit.

You could probably use different IPs for connecting with relays and
exiting traffic to the internet, but then you'd need a machine with two
network interfaces that have different public IPs, and you will also not
be able to "prove" that an exit is/was running on the IP that generates
abuse complaints and similar trouble.

Am 29.09.2016 um 15:09 schrieb Volker Mink:
> Hi Folks.
> Due to my TOR exit on my Internet-Connection i got hasseled by a lot
> of proxy-warnings and -problems.
> A lot of newsboards are showing up stuff like "cloudflare protection",
> netflix wont work due to "proxy detection", some apps on my
> mobilephone (on WIFI) require some reconfiguration...
>
> Any idea how to solve this?
> My exitnode is running on a small raspberry. Its local IP-adress is
> configured in the DMZ of my router to communicate with the internet
> without any restrictions.
> Best,
> volker

---