[tor-relays] Tor abuse complaints (per MBit/s)

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Thu Sep 29 04:55:23 UTC 2016

On 09/28/2016 09:12 PM, nusenu wrote:
> In your number of complains over time graphs you do not seem to take
> traffic into account?
>
> Would you care to add a
> number of complains over time per MBit/s of exit relay traffic?

I strongly urged them to do exactly this before they publish. The
absolute numbers are quite pointless, and, worse, dangerous. All it
takes is a journalist taking them the wrong way and we have a negative
press fallout. This is the main reason why I was very reluctant to hand
them over in the first place -- they really must be interpreted in
context, ideally comparing them to a similar, normalized data set from
VPN providers and Internet access providers.

I appreciate that they're trying to make sense out of the data, and it
is definitely quite some work to weed through all of it. Maybe it's OK
as a first initial analysis, and maybe we should rather be transparent
and let the press mess it up than hiding it. The next step is cleaning
it up further, and then going through the archives [1] to match it with
bandwidth usage and changes in exit policies over time.

Due to the method used, nforce and voxility show up with large counts as
"origin" of complaints, even though they send zero abuse complaints --
they are just two of our largest and very friendly ISPs, and they show
up because all of that are complaints they forward to us.

[1] https://collector.torproject.org/

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/