[tor-relays] "Potentially dangerous relay groups"

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Wed Sep 28 22:32:00 UTC 2016

> It - plus the follow up from that many contributors - did answer my questions apart from two left:
>
> - should only Markus be contacted instead of lets say at least all the folks with more than 2 notes to make them aware?

I contacted many of the most relevant operators with incorrect MyFamily
setting in the past years. ansible-relayor [1] was also born to provide
a solution for the MyFamily "problem".

The email to Markus was just triggered by the OrNetRadar email that in
turn has been trigged by the fact that he added 3 relays on 2016-09-22.

MyFamily is not very relevant, but I use MyFamily data to to aggregate
relays for lists like
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ornetstats/stats/master/o/main_operators_by_cw.txt

and if torpids would also set a proper MyFamily their ranking would be
better (because more relays would be aggregated into their group).

> I tend to agree with what has been written "I am in favour of a scheme where the process of joining a family is
> authenticated." Personally I will correct my entries soon to get me off that list :-)

people interested in that topic might want to read:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals/242-better-families.txt

[1] https://github.com/nusenu/ansible-relayor