[tor-relays] "Potentially dangerous relay groups"

Chad MILLER chad at cornsilk.net
Wed Sep 28 12:01:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:08 AM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 6:24 AM, Chad MILLER <chad at cornsilk.net> wrote:
> > Why isn't MyFamily a family name, instead of a list of members? I see no
> > downside to having an unauthenticated
>
> Because anyone can assert the string and
> shared strings can't cross certify each other.

So? A relay can always have behaved badly. What's the harm in you
fraudulently claiming to be in family com.example.chadmiller ? A user's
path won't have passed through both you and me, but you could have
prevented traffic from passing through you any time. At worst, you get to
participate in a user's path and exclude me from participating. That's no
worse than you setting your machine on fire and me participating.

--
Chad Miller    chad.org    gpg:FE9782A4C4F1ACBB