[tor-relays] "Potentially dangerous relay groups"

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Wed Sep 28 06:53:51 UTC 2016

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 02:38:37 -0400
grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net> wrote:
> > *) Give up on listing fingerprints, instead simply list nicknames.
>
> No. Fingerprints are what to use here. Please do not use nicknames.

Any actual rationale, other than "do as I say"? And aside from linking to the
man page which doesn't provide one EITHER.

The only problem I can imagine with this is that Nefarious People can run a
same fingerprint relay with the same MyFamily string as mine, and by that join
my family, possibly knocking out one of my actual relays out of it. But what
exactly would anyone achieve with that, is entirely unclear.

> Besides, other than for simply announcing a vanity tag, nicks are
> going away in every area they are currently accepted as config input,
> so don't get used to them as such. See tickets 12898, etc.

Then expect the number of people to even bother with MyFamily, to dwindle
further.

--
With respect,
Roman