[tor-relays] "Potentially dangerous relay groups"

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Tue Sep 27 20:38:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 21:24:59 +0200
Tim Semeijn <noc at babylon.network> wrote:

> Always watching my ass to be a good old Tor operator, I got my nodes on
> the list. Always fun to see how one time not updating all your
> MyFamily's gets you marked for life xD
>
> Time for some conf-updating.

To possibly simplify this a bit, consider that:

*) It doesn't hurt anything if a node has itself listed in its own MyFamily.
You can just use the same MyFamily string in all your configs.

*) Give up on listing fingerprints, instead simply list nicknames. Any harm
this can possibly cause, is largely hypothetical. So if that simplifies
management for you, just go for it.

*) Over-listing is better than under-listing, so you can add ALL node nicknames
you currently use or plan to use soon, and don't worry about listing some which
are down at the moment, or not set up just yet.

--
With respect,
Roman