[tor-relays] Arm phantom keystroke issue.

Chad MILLER chad at cornsilk.net
Fri Sep 23 15:28:16 UTC 2016

That's pretty awesome, Matt! I love it.

I don't know what's happening offhand, but I have an idea that will fix one
kind of problem.

When you start arm, if you never need to type into it, you can kill all
input from outside the program by making its input something else.

$  arm </dev/null

You can still use control-C to interrupt it, but no regular keypresses will
flow into arm.

If it could be another problem, I'd think it's that a 'c' isn't being
pressed and causing logs to be cleared, but that a log rotator is renaming
and expunging logs and that looks like clearing logs and that could look
like 'c'. That's a big ugly guess, though.

Hope this helps.

ps, an arg like "-e5" will show few monitor messages and make room for more
Tor messages for patrons to gawk at.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Matt Helps <matthelps at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> The node we run is in our library and we have a raspberry pi SSH'ed into
> the node and an LCD displaying the output from Arm. Arm is bugging out on a
> random basis and appears to be receiving a C keystroke that I believe is
> the clear log command. I ran the pi with no keyboard and I even used
> another machine to display the ARM output from the SSH session and it did
> the same thing. Has anyone else seen this and is there a solution? It's a
> real bummer because we use this as a learning tool in our library and the
> pretty graphs of incoming and outgoing traffic really get people
> interested. When this phantom keystroke happens the graphs stop and
> somebody has to press N on the keyboard to get the pretty graphs rolling
> again. This can happen in 2-3 hours or upto 12 hours. See pic here.
> http://imgur.com/a/wrMhT
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Chad Miller
chad.org
c2c3 0e6c a4ce d49e 79cf   06c61 a806 deac 3042 0066