[tor-relays] Rampup speed of Exit relay

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:24:04 UTC 2016

> On 21 Sep 2016, at 20:01, D.S. Ljungmark <ljungmark at modio.se> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at some traffic patterns for my Exit relay, and I'm frankly
> a bit disappointed with the utilization.
>
> Currently it's running at a load average of 0.3-0.5,  and CPU idle at
> 70-80%.
>

> We're not limited on Bandwidth (tests show that our max cap is more than
> safe to produce), yet, we're barely reaching 20% of our potential
> allocated traffic.
>

> We've reached "fast" and "guard", and got the "stable" flag as well, so
> in theory we ought to see traffic move a bit higher than currently.
>

> So, how do we get tor to move past 100-200Mbit? Is it just a waiting game?

How long has the relay been up?
What's the fingerprint of your Exit relay?
Where is it located?

Have you read:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay

Does your processor have AES-NI? Is it reasonably fast?
Does Tor have enough sockets available?
Does it warn you about any other potential performance issues in its logs?

Have you tried running 2 Tor instances per IPv4 address?

Also, have you tried searching the mailing list archives?
This question gets asked and answered at least once a month.

Tim